Don't be shy!

I LOVE comments!!!! And if you comment on mine then I will come comment on yours!!

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Oh Dear

William's principal called on Friday, it wasn't to let me know that he is getting the student of the year award, in fact it was a call that no one ever wants to get, Will got into his first fist fight, yep my sweet, innocent, tender hearted boy got into a fist fight.  The principal told me that he usually suspends kids who fight, but decided to give both boys detention during recess and lunch for all of next week, because neither of them have ever gotten into trouble.  I was shocked, and couldn't believe he would ever get into a fight.  He got home and gave me his side of the story, apparently this other boy, we'll call him Joe, was being mean to Will and 3 other boys, including Will's cousin Tyler, and Joe punched Tyler in the face twice and that was when Will stepped in and things got out of control.  Joe threw bark chips at Will and then slapped him so Will just reacted and I guess they both threw some pretty tough punches, in Will's words, "we both just went crazy hitting each other mom".  In my head I picture the scene in "A Christmas Story" when Ralphie loses it and knocks Scut Farkis to the ground and gets on top of him and is cursing and punching him, and when his mom comes he start crying.  From the sounds of it, William couldn't get on top of Joe and hit him, but still you always imagine the worse...
Tyler's parents were so proud of William for standing up to Joe and defending Tyler that they got him a gift card, we made it clear that he is only being rewarded for helping his cousin, not for fighting.  I'm hoping this is the first and last time he ever fights someone else.  I can hope for the best and teach him right, and I think that's all I can do.

3 comments:

Kristina P. said...

A gift card? Interesting. It does sound like it was more self-defense than anything.

Ami said...

I have a unique view of bullying/fighting. It's certainly not my first choice of ways for kids to deal with things.

But I think if more kids were willing to hit BACK there would be a lot less bullying.

Derek-Jenny-Kaitlynd-Ethan-Dylan said...

Bless your heart. This must be hard...but it sounds like it will all be alright.

Deep breaths.